Multiplying larger numbers:
Goal 1: 5th grade goal of multiplying larger numbers using the traditional algorithm:
- 5th grade video and practice on multiplying 2-digit by 3-digit numbers with carrying.
- VIDEO: Multiplying 2-digit by 3-digit #’s with carrying- 10 minutes long– USE BLUE MATH PAGE TO LOG YOUR WORK
- PRACTICE: Challenge problems- please show all work on your paper. USE THE SAME BLUE PAGE TO COPY THE PROBLEMS and show your solution.
5th grade multiplying Decimals via Khan Academy:
- PRACTICE: Using estimation to multiply decimal- practice
- VIDEO: Intro to multiplying decimals– shows dividing by 10’s strategy
- VIDEO : Multiplying with decimals: Place Value– shows dividing by 10’s strategy
- PRACTICE #1: Multiplying decimals – simple and in your head
- PRACTICE #2– Multiplying Decimals 2– use the scratchpad
- PRACTICE #3: Multiplying Decimals 3: this gets trickier, use scratchpad
- ARTICLE PAGE: Multiplying Decimals – no standard algorithm -CHALLENGE
4th grade content/ REVIEW level work Khan Academy:
- VIDEO: Multiplying a single-digit by a double-digit # without carrying: REVIEW of 4th grade content
- VIDEO: Multiply a single-digit by a triple-digit # without carrying: REVIEW of 4th grade content
- PRACTICE: Multiplying without carrying- REVIEW of 4th grade content
- Video: Multiplying a single digit by double-digit WITH carrying, REVIEW of 4th grade content
- VIdeo: Multiplying a single-digit by 3-digit number WITH carrying: REVIEW of 4th grade content
- Video: Multiplying a single-digit by 4-digit number WITH carrying: Review of 4th grade content
Goal 2: Multiplying Larger numbers with Decimals
Khan Academy Lessons:
- Video 1: Intro to multiplying decimals
- Video 2: Don’t do this video- it is confusing
- PRACTICE CHALLENGE Decimal 1: Multiplying decimals- basics- GREEN PAGE
- Video 3: Multiplying Decimals, Place Value, and Reordering
- Video 4: Multiplying Decimals Example
- PRACTICE CHALLENGE Decimal 2: Multiplying Decimals- last step
Learn Zillion Lessons for multiplying larger numbers, no decimals.
2-digit by 2-digit problems:
- LZ4389 Multiplying Larger Numbers using the AREA MODEL
- LZ4390 Multiply Larger Numbers as PARTIAL PRODUCTS
- LZ4391 Multiply Larger Numbers using STANDARD Algorithm
Practice Multi-digit Multiplication GAME
2 Digit Multiplication– must SUBMIT at each step
1 digit by 3 digit numbers:
- Tutorial 1: Multiplying by rounding first, then partial products
- Tutorial 2: GREAT!! 321 x 3- as a partial product
- Tutorial 3: YES! LearnZillion Area Model Strategy
- Tutorial 4: LearnZillion Extra help with a smaller numberL 32 x 6
- Multiply numbers by using a grad– TesiBoard- you set the grid size.
2-digit by 3-digit multiplication.
- Tutorial 1: Sophia Website tutorial
- Activity: Multiply numbers by using a grad– TesiBoard- you set the grid size.
I can solve a multiplication problem that is 1-digit by 3-digits. For example, I can solve 7 x 389= ?
VIDEOS THAT HELP with multiplying larger numbers:
- LZ: Use an array to multiply a 1-digit by 2-digit number.
- LZ: Use an AREA MODEL to do the same. (4 x 27)
- LZ: Use Place Value to understand multiplication.(687 x 7)
- LZ: Area model to multiple a 2-digit by 2-digit number. (26 x 37)
- LZ: Area model to multiply a 1-digit by 2-digit number (7 x 368)
- LZ: 4.NBT.5 Solve multi-digit mult. problems using anAREA MODEL
Properties that we HELP with solving larger multiplication problems:
- LZ: 3.OA.5- Commutative property using arrays, an introduction
- LZ: 3.OA.5- use Commutative and Associative to solve word problems.
- LZ 3.MD.7 Use the DISTRIBUTIVE property to break down a rectangle into smaller pieces
- LZ 3.OA.4 Solve mult. problems with the Distributive Problem– equation format
- LZ: 5.OA.5 Use the Distributive Property to solve a for an unknown mult. problems
- COMMUTATIVE (think M&M’s)- LZ3.OA.5)- Commutative INTRO
Teacher resources at LearnZillion:
- Lesson set #30 on single-digit by multi-digit with area models.
Multi-digit Multiplication is our math target for the next math unit.
Please watch these videos to see how the students are learning to solve multi-digit math problems.
Why does lattice multiplication work? Watch this video to find out.
- Khan Academy- 1-digit by 2-digit multiplication (traditional)
- Khan Academy- 2-digit by 2-digit multiplication (traditional)
- Khan Academy- multiple-digit multiplication (traditional method)
Students are learning each of these methods for solving a multi-digit multiplication problem.