5.NBT.7 The Powers of 10
INTERACTIVE LEARNING for multiplying and dividing by 10’s, 100’s and 1000’s:
- Egyptian Powers of 10 game– move up the levels (TES website)
- SNAPPY MATH: Type in the Correct Product. Example: 58 tens = 58 x 10= 580
- Kids Britannica “Powers of 10” Cross the River game . This is pretty advanced, be ready for a challenge.
- Math Frame quick click game. (Log in with lamar, password: lamar 123, them open this link again). This game is more challenging!
Exponents: 10 the the power of 3 = 1000
- Drag-and-Drop Powers of 10 for chemistry students
TEACHER EXAMPLES- models of the Powers of 10
- TES Board “Place Value Shifter” model- uses a calculator model and place value grid
- Place Value model with just digits Modeling of Multiplying and Dividing by 10, 100, etc. You drag and drop digits, then click multiply or divide by 10, 100, or 1000
- TOP MARKS- “Moving Digits” modeling of multi/div by 10, 100, etc (advanced in that it shows division as a multiplication of a fraction) This uses rolling carts as a visual.
Khan Academy Videos:
Level 1: BASICS of multiplying by 10, 100, or 1000 and EXPONENTS
- VIDEO: Power of 10: Patterns in multiplying by 10- intro to EXPONENTS
- CHALLENGE- exponents: Patterns in powers of 10 – interactive white board/pen- This included exponents.
- Video: Multiplying a decimal by a Power of 10: working with buying stamps (10 x 0.44)
Multiplying & Dividing Decimals by powers of 10
- CHALLENGE A: Multiplying decimals by 10, 100, and 1000– 5 part challenge
- CHALLENGE B: DIVIDING decimals by 10, 100, and 1000– 5 part challenge
Multiplying WHOLE numbers by powers of 10
- CHALLENGE C: Multiplying and Dividing Whole Numbers by 10, 100, & 1000 interactive
- CHALLENGE D: Multiplying and Dividing decimals by 10- interactive white board/pen- Tests include x 1/10 being the same as dividing by 10
- CHALLENGE E: Multiplying AND dividing decimals by 10, 100, & 1000 – interactive white board/pen
- LZ435 Multiply Decimals by Powers of Tens by Understanding Place Value. –> o.34 x 100 = 34 because….
- LZ436 Divide decimals by powers of ten by understanding place value –> 34/ 100 = 0.34 because
- LZ437 Divide a decimal number by 10 and by 100 by understanding place value.
- LZ438 – Use Whole Number to Denote Powers of 10 (explains exponents & base numbers)
Introduction to Exponents and writing out exponents.
- LZ439: Multiply Whole Numbers by Powers of 10 (reviews base, exponents, and “power of 3”)
- LZ440: DIVIDE Whole Numbers by Powers of 10
- LZ1874: Compare Numbers Written in Exponential Notation
- LZ Explain Patterns of Zeroes when Multiplying by a Powers of 10
- LZ2583 Powers of 10 by using Whole Number Exponents
Teacher Tube: http://www.teachertube.com/video/decimals-and-powers-of-10-discovery-359798
Pingback: Fun Friday – Grade 5 | Online Math Practice for Mrs. DaBiere's Students