The world news has covered iPads and autism quite a bit over the last year. Below are links to some of the news articles and to websites that list Apps that support ‘best practices”.
- NBC News 60 Minutes segment on autism and iPads– focus on students who are non-verbal.
- CBS News: Focus on students that are non-verbal
- Apps for Stages– fantastic resource for apps depending on a student’s ‘stage’ . This is produced by Madalaine Pugliese
Assistive Technology Graduate Program Director at Simmons College
- CTG Fall 2011 Article by Madalaine Pugliese– explaining each stage, reasoning and suggested apps- Excellent resource
- Apps for students with DYSGRAPHIA: Suggested apps- this does not say if it vetted or not. NEW!
- Autism Speaks official website– List of Apps (they don’t list if these are vetted apps or not)
- Austism Apps Wiki (no mention if vetted)
- List of suggested Apps– general apps, not necessarily autism support oriented.
- APPS by IEP Goal– this site looks quite interesting! Love the idea that apps are oriented by goals.
Not apps, but sites worth looking at:
Here are some items that I have created, adapted, or otherwise worked with students with sensory needs.
I saw one of these online and decided to adapt it for use with some of my students that need some support with self-regulation of stress.
- Ten-point scale of stress shown as a spedometer-plain. I also have this as a word document, email me if you would like a copy of it for classroom use. eva(dot)lamar(at)springfield(dot)k12.or.us
- Ten-point scale of stress shown as spedometer-prompts. You can email me for the Word doc the same was as above.
SUPPORT FOR RECORDING INTO AN iPAD (for those of us recording videos to support our students/children)
- YouTube Video: iPad and a lavaliere microphone (okay example)
- Youtube Video: Connect an iPad to a Yeti Microphone by “Just Techin”
- Website : BlueTooth Microphone for the iPad (Amazon)
- Website: A Podcaster talks about using an external mic on his iPad
- Website: A Podcaster talks about the Apogee Mic for Podcasting.
- WOW- An iPad Mini and microphone using a special mobile podcasting app– instand Podcast publishing to a WP site.